What is allergic rhinitis ?
Allergic rhinitis, also called Hay fever, causes cold-like signs and symptoms, such as a liquid nose, irritating eyes, blocking, sneezing and depression pressure. But dissimilar to a cold, allergic rhinitis isn’t caused by a virus. Allergic rhinitis is caused by an allergic response to indoor or outdoor allergens, such as irritants, dust mites, or spots of skin and saliva shed by cats, dogs, and other animals with feathers. Besides making you unhappy, allergic rhinitis can affect your performance at school or work and normally interfere with your life.
Types of allergic rhinitis
The categories of allergic rhinitis are perennial and seasonal. Seasonal allergies regularly happen during the spring and fall season and are mostly in response to outdoor allergens like pollen. Perennial allergies can happen year round, or at any time during the year in response to indoor substances, like dust mites and pet dander.
Symptoms of allergic rhinitis
Common symptoms of allergic rhinitis include:-
- a runny nose
- a stuffy nose
- an itchy nose
- a sore or scratchy throat
- itchy eyes
- watery eyes
- dark circles under the eyes
- frequent headaches
- eczema-type symptoms, such as having very dry, itchy skin that can blister and weep
- excessive fatigue
You’ll habitually feel one or more of these symptoms immediately after coming into contact with an allergen. Some symptoms, such as recurrent headaches and fatigue, may only happen after long-term revelation to allergens. Fever isn’t a symptom of hay fever. Some people experience symptoms only rarely. This possibly happens when you’re exposed to allergens in large quantities. Other people experience symptoms all year long.
Causes of allergic rhinitis
When your body comes into contact with an allergen, it releases histamine, which is a natural chemical that protects your body from the allergen. This chemical can cause allergic rhinitis and its symptoms, comprise a runny nose, sneezing, and itchy eyes.In addition to tree pollen, other familiar allergens include :-
- grass pollen
- dust mites
- animal dander, which is old skin
- cat saliva
During certain times of the year, pollen can be mainly problematic. Tree and flower pollen are more ordinary in the spring. Weeds and grasses manufacture more pollen in the summer and fall.
Complications during allergic rhinitis
Problems that may be associated with allergic rhinitis include:
- Ear infection. In kids, allergic rhinitis frequently is a factor in middle ear infection.
- Worsening asthma. Allergic rhinitis can worsen signs and symptoms of asthma, such as wheezing and coughing.
- Sinusitis. Prolonged sinus congestion due to allergic rhinitis may increase your vulnerability to sinusitis — an infection of the skin that lines the sinuses.
- Poor sleep. Allergic rhinitis symptoms can keep you awake or make it hard to stay asleep, which can lead to fatigue and a common feeling of being unwell.
- Reduced quality of life. Allergic rhinitis can interfere with your enjoyment of activities and cause you to be less productive. For many people, allergic rhinitis symptoms lead to absences from school or work.
Homeopathic treatment for allergic rhinitis
Some of the commonly prescribed homeopathic medicines for Allium cepa, Arum triphyllum, Gelsemium, nux. Vomica, Sabadilla, Arsenicum iodide, Natrum mur etc.
- Allium Cepa :- This is a homeopathy medicine. It affects people when they feel profuse watery, acid burning discharge from the nose. Also beneficial in bland discharge from the eyes, feeling of a lump at root of nose, Fluent coryza with headache, cough and hoarseness. Catarrhal symptoms are worse indoors, better in open air.
- Arum triphyllum :- This remedy is used for constant picking at nose until it bleeds, Pain over root of nose, Acrid, excoriating discharge producing raw sores, Nose completely stopped, must breathe through mouth.
- Gelsemium :- This remedy is beneficial when people feel itching and tickling in soft palate and nasopharynx. Coryza with thin, acrid, watery discharge. Sensation as if hot water loose from the nostrils. Fullness at the root of the nose. Excessive sneezing, worse early morning.
- Nux. vomica :- This remedy works when the nose is stuffed up at night and outdoors. Violent sneezing, Patient chilly and irritable.
- Sabadilla :- This remedy works when people feel spasmodic sneezing with a running nose, Copious watery nasal discharge, Over Sensitivity to odors, Contractive stupefying headache, Violent sneezing with redness, watering and swelling of eyelids.
- Arsenicum iodide :- Remedy for thin watery, excoriating discharge from anterior and posterior nares, Irritation and tingling of nose, constant desire to sneeze.
- Natrum mur :- This remedy for violent fluent coryza, Discharge thin and watery, like the raw white of an egg, Cold commences with sneezing.